Minnesota Literacy Council offers two types of Americorps VISTA opportunities: Yearlong Literacy VISTA and Summer Reads VISTA. VISTA members help schools, nonprofits and public agencies across Minnesota improve their ability to provide high-quality literacy services that empower children, youth, adults and families to move out of poverty. At the same time, VISTA members build their leadership skills and networks, explore new career paths, pay for college and become lifelong advocates for the communities they serve due to the power of their experience.
23 Literacy VISTAs served one year of service and:
- Improved literacy programming for 745 adult learners and 6,196 children and youth.
- Supported the recruitment, training and management of 1,590 community volunteers who performed 16,677 hours of service.
- Leveraged $82,150 in financial donations plus in-kind donations worth $2,130.
76 Summer Reads VISTAs completed a summer of service and:
- Helped prevent the “summer slide” – the loss of learning that occurs over the summer – for 2,903 children in grades K-3.
- Distributed 11,846 free children’s books.
- Helped 4 out of 5 children maintain or improve their literacy skills and reading engagement.
- Ensured that 41 schools, libraries and out-of-school time programs could increase the amount of time dedicated to literacy and reduce child to adult ratios for more individualized attention to children.
Check out a brief video demonstrating the impact of Summer Reads VISTAs at host site Keystone Community Services-West 7th Community Center in Saint Paul: Strong Readers, Strong Leaders.
Which VISTA program is the best fit for you?