Click here for instructions and tips to ensure that your AmeriCorps application is completed correctly and competitively.
There are two types of Summer Reads VISTA positions available in the Twin Cities 7-county metro area:
- Summer Reads VISTA - Metro Twin Cities Area: Change a child's life this summer! Tutor young children to improve their literacy and reading skills. Use your creativity to engage kids in learning activities that will keep their minds sharp! (Term of service: June 11 - August 5, 2018)
- Summer Reads VISTA - Outreach Specialist: Fight the summer slide! Use your previous experience tutoring or teaching children to provide peer mentoring to first-time VISTA tutors towards making a huge impact on kids' reading skills this summer. (Term of service: June 4 - August 12, 2018)
- Summer Reads VISTA - Returning Member: If you have served in Summer Reads previously and your MyAmeriCorps account is blocked from applying to this year's position listing, try this position listing instead.
In the Twin Cities, candidates first apply to the Summer Reads program, and then if offered a position, will be matched to a site placement after all VISTAs have been selected. Candidates may make requests at the time of the interview. Site placements in the Twin Cities for 2018 includes:
Boys & Girls Clubs of the Twin Cities (multiple locations)
Centro Guadalupano at Holy Rosary Church
Columbia Heights Community Education
Eastside Neighborhood Services
Fridley Public Schools
Hospitality House for Youth Development
Interfaith Action of Greater St Paul (Department of Indian Work)
International Institute of Minnesota
Keystone - West 7th Community Center
Minneapolis Community Education (MSP)
Minneapolis Public Schools (multiple locations)
Opportunity Neighborhood at Ames Lake
Open Door Learning Center-Arlington Hills
Park Avenue Youth & Family
Pillsbury House & Theatre
Pillsbury Waite House
St Paul Public Libraries (multiple locations)
Summer Reads positions in other communities in greater Minnesota:
Candidates interested in serving outside the Twin Cities apply directly to the site of their interest. Term of service: June 11 - August 5, 2018
- Aitkin: Looking for a life changing opportunity? You can help save a student from a life without literacy.
- Barnum: Spend your summer helping students learn about literacy while having fun! Join our top-notch Summer Reads staff in Barnum while gaining experience and training in an educational setting.
- Caledonia: With collaboration, integrity, and innovation, Caledonia Area Elementary with their Caledonia Library partner will soar into summer reading and literacy enrichment experiences with you.
- Duluth: Summer Reads in Duluth gives VISTAs the opportunity to inspire a love of reading and build children's reading skills through interactive, literacy infused cultural, artistic & life skills activities.
- Ely: Looking for a learning adventure? Join our team of educators at the edge of the Boundary Waters for fun, challenging literacy work that builds a child’s ability to thrive & your leadership skills.
- Fairmont: Do you want to make a difference in a child’s life? Share your love of reading with a child and give the gift of literacy to last a lifetime!
- Kerkhoven: If you are energetic, self-motivated, kind, love working with children, love to read and help with children’s needs, then KMS Camp Read-a-lot is looking for you to join our team this summer!
- Morris: Education won’t fizzle at Summer Sizzle! We are looking for VISTAs to provide reading and literacy instruction to students over the course of the summer in a fun, upbeat environment. Come join us!
- Northfield: Want to make a difference in the lives of youth & work with elementary youth this summer? Affect a child’s life by joining Summer PLUS. Don’t miss the chance to work with youth literacy in Northfield.
You can download more detailed instructions, with images/screenshots, on completing your MyAmeriCorps application here. Detailed instructions with screenshots/images on how to edit your existing MyAmeriCorps application are here.
Having trouble with your application? Contact the National Service Hotline, 1-800-942-2677.