Minnesota Literacy Council can provide your organization with a full-time, qualified Literacy Leader dedicated to realizing your project's goals. At the same time, the Minnesota Literacy Leadership Program is an opportunity for Literacy Leaders to engage deeply in community work while exploring career paths in public service, social service or education. By creating new programming, making improvements to existing programs or expanding the reach of programs, Literacy Leaders enable agencies to serve more individuals, more deeply impact causes of poverty and expand the quality and quantity of program offerings.
The Minnesota Literacy Leadership Program is made possible with funding from the Corporation for National and Community Service, through the AmeriCorps VISTA national service program.
Is the Minnesota Literacy Leadership Program right for my organization?
Any private nonprofit organization, educational institution or public agency working with communities in poverty anywhere in Minnesota is eligible to apply.
Literacy Leaders work behind the scenes to build infrastructure for programs that help Minnesotan children, youth, adults or families with reading, writing, oral language and digital communication skills. Literacy Leaders are short-term resources meant to build the long-term sustainability of programs beyond the Literacy Leadership VISTA resource. Projects could involve:
- developing, designing or enhancing program content
- designing or conducting program evaluation and improving data collection systems
- developing and nurturing community partnerships
- enhancing volunteer recruitment, training and management systems
- securing resources to ensure long-term sustainability of programs
How do I apply?
Attend a 1 hour info session first before applying (by webinar):
- Thursday, December 12, 2019, 10am
- Tuesday, January 7, 2020, 1pm
- Recorded webinar available on request (will be avaiable after December 12, 2019)
Application & Request for Proposals
We are now accepting applications for new host sites for the 2020-21 program year, with Literacy Leader VISTAs starting service in August 2020. Review our Request for Proposals and submit your application for a new 2020-21 project online here after attending an Info Session. Applications are due by Feburary 3, 2020.
Orientation and Training for Supervisors
If selected, Site Supervisors will be required to attend 2 half-day Supervisor Workshops (choose one date for each part) and to submit the first draft of their VISTA Assignment Description (VAD - workplan) and Service Opportunity (position description) by March 1, 2020. Workshops are located at the Minnesota Literacy Council main office in St Paul unless otherwise noted. Register for Supervisor Workshops.
Part 1: Supervisor Orientation, Policies and VADs
- February 18, 9am-1pm (in person); or
- February 19, 9:30am-12pm (webinar); or
- February 20, 9am-1pm (in person)
Part 2: Literacy Leader Recruitment and Supervision
- March 24, 9am-1pm (in person); or
- March 26, 9am-1pm (in person); or
- March 27, 9:30am-12pm (webinar)
Part 3: On-boarding Literacy Leaders
- July 2020, date to be determined (webinar)
To learn more about National Service, visit www.NationalService.gov.
Did you know?
Minnesota Literacy Council also has a summer associate AmeriCorps VISTA program. Summer Reads members serve directly as literacy mentors during the summer months for children entering grades K-4 in schools, libraries and community programs. Organizations may host both Literacy Leaders and Summer Reads. Learn more about hosting Summer Reads.