Starting a Citizenship Class
There are many things to consider beforing starting a new citizenship program at your site. The following guides can help you better understand the steps to take when starting up a citizenship class.
- Toolkit for Creating a Citizenship Preparation Program (From CLINIC)- for programs who want to serve clients' legal and language needs for pursuing U.S. citizenship.
- Building Capacity for ESL, Legal Services, and Citizenship (from GCIR)- a detailed "how-to" guide for what to consider before starting your citizenship services
- Starting a Citizenship Class (From ProLiteracy)- brief document that details the components needed for starting a citizenship class. Go to ProLiteracy.com, create a free account, and search for 'Starting a Citizenship Class' to find this PDF document.
- Effective Citizenship Education Programs: Quality Indicators & Best Pratices (from Adult Learning Resource Center)- a slide show presentation which addresses the need for citizenship education, the path to citizenship, the USCIS interview and tests, and curriciulum and assessment best pratices.
Other "How To" Citizenship Guides
- Toolkit for BIA Recognition and Accreditation (From CLINIC)- designed to educate agencies on the need for BIA recognition and accreditation before assisting clients with citizenship applications.
- Toolkit for Naturalization Workshops (From CLINIC)- designed to help charitable immigration programs achieve a successful naturalization workshop, includes sample forms and documents