September 13, 2018
Purpose: This variation of "Number of the Day" is a great way to help students develop procedural fluency with the math operations they have learned.
Preparation Time: none
Materials Needed: paper, dice (optional)
- Chose a number to be the target number. For example: 45
- Chose five numbers to be used in the operation: For example: 4, 2, 5, 1, 3
- Challenge the students to come up with an operation that equals the target number. For example: (4+5) x (3+2) x 1
- Choose numbers carefully so that students will have success using whatever operations they know.
- Choose more than five numbers and allow students to use any number of them in their operation.
- Roll two dice. The product of those two dice becomes the target number. For example 7 x 6 = 42
- Roll five dice to come up with the numbers to be used in the operation.
- Rolling the dice randomly generally makes the task more diffcult. In some instances it will be impossible to get to the target number.