Race to the Word
May 25, 2018
Purpose: A fun, energizing team game that develops listening for specific information skills
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Materials Needed: Song, slips of paper with words from the song, tape
- Choose a song that will not be too difficult for your learners (see song suggestions below).
- Write 10-15 words from the song (ideally words that the learners will have heard before) on slips of paper and tape them to the board. For higher level groups write 15-20 words.
- Read the words together as a class.
- Divide the class into two teams, and have the teams line up in front of the board.
- Start the song. When the two learners who are at the front of their line hear a word that is on the board, they run to the board and grab that word.
- The two learners in front then go to the back of the line, and the learners who are next in line race to get the next word.
- Play the song several times until all of the words have been claimed.
- The team with the most words wins.
What a Wonderful World- Louis Armstrong
Hello, Goodbye- The Beatles
Luka- Suzanne Vega
Tom’s Diner- Suzanne Vega
Sunshine on My Shoulders- John Denver
9 to 5- Dolly Parton
Wonderful Tonight- Eric Clapton
Cats in the Cradle- Harry Chapin
Yesterday- The Beatles