Categorizing Months, Days and Years
Activity Name: Categorizing Months, Days and Years
Purpose: to practice vocabulary for months, days and years, while using critical thinking skills
Preparation time: enough time to cut up attached word cards (1 set per pair of students) and place them in envelopes, 20 minutes
Materials: 1 set of month, day, year cards per pair of students and a calendar (see link below)
- Look at the current month of a calendar with students.
- Ask them, “What day is it?” “What month is it?” “What year is it?” They can answer orally and you can ask them to point to each on the calendar.
- Mix up the cards and lay them out.
- Project them or ask students to gather around a table so everyone can see.
- Read through the cards as a class.
- Have students help you find the category cards (Month, Day, Year) and place them at the top of the table.
- Work together as a class to place each card under the correct category.
- If you think a second round of modelling is necessary, mix up the cards and ask a strong student to sort the cards.
- Distribute sets of cards to each pair of students and allow them to do the activity.
- As students finish, check their work. Fast finishers can read through the cards aloud.