Making Post-VISTA Plans
Whether your plans include going back to school, looking to land a job, exploring different fields, or having an existential crisis...here are some ideas for finding information, resources, and networking opportunities. Share any ideas or resources you might have in the comment box!
Thinking About Graduate School
- GradSchools.com: Search for and compare grad programs nationwide and internationally and find resources on applications, student loans and assistantships, loan consolidation and repayment, and graduate fellowships and scholarships.
- Idealist.org Graduate School Resource Center: View videos, podcasts, articles, and other resources related to preparing and applying for grad school, the variety of graduate study options, financing your graduate education, alternatives to grad school, and graduate study abroad.
- ScholarEdge: Find resources and help with applications, interview prep, finding and applying for scholarships, completing FAFSA, and knowing what questions to ask when considering schools and programs.
- MN Office of Higher Education: Peruse this guide to the types of graduate financial aid, tips for finding scholarships and loans, and federal tax benefits.
- U.S. Department of Higher Education: Browse everything federal student aid.
Looking for and Landing a Job
- Minnesota Work Force Centers: Find general resources related to employment in MN.
- Idealist.org: Search for positions and resources in this extensive database.
- Minnesota Council of Nonprofits: Check out this job board for nonprofits.
- AmeriCorps Alums: Access these resources now through career webinars, information about educational discounts and using your Segal Education Award, and job postings.
- iSeek Minnesota: View career assessment and planning guides, job postings, articles on the MN job market, and advice related to interviews, resumes, and salary negotiation.
- O*Net Online: Peruse information about job seeking, occupational overviews, skill matching, and finding jobs according to your skills, interests, or career goals.
- CareerOneStop: Use tools like a skills profiler and employability check-list.
Networking and Staying Connected
- AmeriCorps Alums: Use discussion boards and job postings.
- Young Nonprofit Professionals Network: Connect with Twin Cities young adults.
- Saint Paul Jaycees: Participate in this civic organization for connecting young people.
- LinkedIn: Join the groups for nonprofits and AmeriCorps and VISTA alumni.
- EnCorps: Resource-share and network with other national service alumni.
Using Noncompetitive Eligibility & The Ed Award
- Noncompetitive Eligibility Facts and FAQ
- USA Federal Government Job Board
- Segal Education Award Resource Center