FINALLY Spring: Seasonal Events to Celebrate
April 25, 2013
Impatient to get out of the house after this never-ending Minnesota winter? Celebrate the warmer weather and sunnier skies with these VISTA budget-friendly events scheduled for this weekend and the next.
WEEKEND OF APRIL 26-28th
- St. Paul Art Crawl (free, galleries scattered around the city): More than 36 locations--ranging from small neighborhood cafes to galleries and museums--will feature art installations and exhibits for visitors to explore as they make their way around the city on an aesthetic scavenger hunt of sorts.
- West Bank Ride (free, 1-4pm on Saturday, starts at Augsburg College): Pick up your free map and t-shirt at Murphy Square Park to begin your leisurely ride between designated pitstops; these Minneapolis landmarks will be hosting games, trivia, entertainment, prizes, bike-decorating, and food and drink specials at local hotspots.
- Art In Bloom at the MIA (free, Minneapolis Institute of Arts): The 30th anniversary of this celebrated event will feature imaginative fresh floral interpretations of cherished pieces of art from the MIA's permanent museum collection--plus live music, art workshops, floral demonstrations, and refreshments. Regular exhibits open as usual.
WEEKEND OF MAY 3-5th
- Festival of Nations ($13.50, St. Paul River Center): Lauded as the largest multicultural event in MN, this weekend celebration boasts live music and dance, food, art, demonstrations, an international bazaar, and cultural exhibits featuring more than 90 ethnic groups. Register here for a drawing to win two free tickets!
- MayDay Parade and Festival (free, Powderhorn Park in Minneapolis): In the Heart of the Beast Puppet and Mask Theatre will be hosting an extravagant parade, ceremony, and day-long festival with vendors, food and drinks, puppet-making workshops, spoken word poetry, and live music and dancing.
- Cinco de Mayo Parade and Festival (free, all day on Saturday, along St. Paul's West Side): This notoriously colorful celebration will include a 10am parade down Cesar Chavez Street, local vendors, street food, live music and dancing, a jalapeno-eating contest, low-rider car show, and mariachi bands.
- MN Scottish Fair ($15, 9-5:30pm on Saturday in Farmington): Venture 30 minutes south of St. Paul to check out the Highland games, live Celtic music, whiskey tasting, Scottish marketplace, sheepherding demonstrations, harp competition, Highland dancers, bagpipe bands, and food vendors.