Cheap Events & Activities
January 18, 2013
Feel like your social life has gone into hibernation with the freezing temps of the new year? Need inspiration for something to do this weekend--along with friends and on a budget? Check out a handful of events that are going on this weekend.
FARIBAULT: Spontaneous Productions Improv, $10 for adults, $5 with student ID
- 7:30-8:30pm on Saturday, January 19th
- Paradise Center for the Arts (321 Central Avenue N, Faribault, MN 55021)
- A comedic improv theatre performance...bring your family and friends!
MORRIS: Prairie Gate Literary Festival, free
- 2:30pm on Saturday, January 19th
- Morris Public Library (102 East 6th Street, Morris, MN 56267)
NORTHFIELD: Bollywood Movie Screening, free
- 7-10pm today, Friday, January 18th
- Carleton College, Boliou 104 (map)
- A student group will be screening the critically acclaimed Bollywood comedy "3 Idiots," with English subtitles. Free and open to the public.
MINNEAPOLIS: Balls Open Mic Cabaret, $5
- Starts at midnight, every Saturday night
- The Southern Theatre (1420 Washington Ave S, Minneapolis, MN 55454)
- Created by Leslie Ball, this Mpls-staple has been running for 20+ years, and features a little bit of everything. Anyone is welcome to perform for 5-7 minutes during the open mic cabaret: music, standup, poetry, weird tricks, whatever!
MINNEAPOLIS: U.S. Pond Hockey Championship, free
- 7am-6pm on Sunday, January 20
- Lake Nokomis Main Beach (2401 E. Minnehaha Pkwy, Minneapolis, MN 55417)
- Teams will square off bracket-style on the lake, while spectators can warm up in the beer garden or warming house tent between games. Additionally, the Family Skating Rink is free and open to all, just remember to bring your own skates.
ST. PAUL: TIBET Urban Expedition, free
- 1-3pm on Sunday, January 20th
- Landmark Center (75 West 5th Street, St. Paul, MN 55102)
- Pick up your cultural passport and enjoy music, dance, crafts, and traditions from Tibet. Free, but please bring a donation for the Hallie Q. Brown Food Shelf (an organization that's currently hosting a MLC VISTA member!)
ST. PAUL: Summit Brewery Tours, free
- 10:30am, 1pm, and 3:30pm each Saturday
- Summit Brewing Company (910 Montreal Circle, St. Paul, MN 55102)
- Take a free 90-minute tour, sample the brews, and visit the giftshop of this St. Paul landmark. Tour reservations are required and can be made here.