The Minnesota Literacy Council VISTA Advisory Group supports the mission of the literacy council’s two national service programs, Literacy VISTA and Summer Reads. VISTA members in our programs help schools, nonprofits and public agencies across Minnesota improve their ability to provide high-quality literacy services that empower children, youth, adults and families to move out of poverty. At the same time, VISTA members build their leadership skills and networks, explore new career paths, pay for college and become lifelong advocates for the communities they serve due to the power of their experience.
Members of the Advisory Group bring their experience with national service, nonprofits, or education to provide input on program operations. In particular, advisory group members play a crucial role in the programs’ federal grant application and in host site outreach and selection.
- Review the Request for Proposals (RFP) for new Literacy VISTA projects and submit comments.
- Contribute ideas for new Literacy VISTA and Summer Reads host site outreach.
- Review a draft of the application for federal funding from CNCS and submit feedback.
- Review approximately 7-8 proposals for new Literacy VISTA projects. Submit comments on strengths, weaknesses, and concerns. Convene at Minnesota Literacy Council in early February 2018 to provide recommendations for the strongest proposals and suggestions on areas the various projects may benefit from Minnesota Literacy Council support.
- Review approximately 4-6 proposals for new Summer Reads host sites. Submit comments on strengths, weaknesses, and concerns. Convene at Minnesota Literacy Council in late February 2018 to provide recommendations for the strongest proposals.
- Share opportunities for individuals to serve as VISTAs with Minnesota Literacy Council through personal and professional networks.
- Familiar with national service, such as AmeriCorps, VISTA, SeniorCorps, or Peace Corps, and/or knowledgeable about issues in nonprofit, education, or social service fields
- Values community solutions to address poverty and literacy
- Leadership effectiveness (e.g., attendance, participation)
- Able to commit to approximately 20 hours of volunteering between November-February, including a mix of in-person meetings (calling in may be arranged), email communication, and time spent on own reviewing application materials
- Not currently hosting, supervising, or serving as a national service member through Minnesota Literacy Council (alumni, past supervisors, and past host sites are eligible, however)
Interested in serving on our Advisory Group? Please contact Meghan Paul-Cook at firstname.lastname@example.org or 651-251-9069.