Learning to read is a big deal, and no one does it alone! At ABCs of Reading, you'll find out how you can coach kids in grades K-3 through the process of learning to read. Hint: there will be Play-doh! The training session was designed by the Minnesota Literacy Council in conjunction with Minneapolis Public Schools and staff from the University of Minnesota. Activities included in the workshop were recommended by teachers, reading specialists, current and former tutors, and the children we work with!
Content covered in this workshop includes:
- Reading Overview - Explore the reading process and learn some of the challenges students face.
- Lesson Planning - Learn to plan lessons that include activities that will benefit children the most.
- Reading to Children - Examine the benefits of reading to children and learn ways to make it a fun and productive experience.
- Reading with Children - Learn a variety of strategies to support children with their reading and help them develop greater fluency and comprehension.
- Decoding Strategies - Pick up some great games for helping students learn and practice letter recognition and formation, sight reading, phonemic awareness, and phonics.
- Writing - Learn activities that will help kids practice the critical skill of writing.
The Minnesota Literacy Council is committed to providing access for people of all abilities to our trainings and events. To request accommodations, please contact Kelly at firstname.lastname@example.org or 651-251-9074 at least two weeks in advance.