Fight poverty with passion!
Literacy VISTA is an AmeriCorps VISTA program aimed at eliminating poverty through education and community empowerment. Charged to design and direct literacy initiatives or tackle the achievement gap, Literacy VISTAs work side-by-side with seasoned professionals and committed volunteers at schools, community-based nonprofit organizations or local government agencies. As a Literacy VISTA, you work behind the scenes to create, enhance or expand literacy-focused programs that bring low-income children, youth, adults and families out of poverty. Your contribution will build a strong foundation for literacy and academic achievement in our communities. In return, you receive unique opportunities for personal and professional development, and for building marketable skills in a supportive environment.
View 2017-2018 Literacy VISTA Positions that are currently accepting applications, apply now! Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis, final deadline to apply is May 31, 2017. We will have 27 positions available in 2017-18.
Learn something new
- Volunteer Development—Build a sustainable, professional volunteer program to allow an organization to expand its services. Recruit, train, support, and retain volunteers, or develop curriculum or materials for outreach, orientation/training, and tracking.
- Program Development—Create, strengthen, or expand programming to address community needs. Get involved in strategic planning, build partnerships, write curriculum, secure resources, recruit participants, or develop methods for tracking and evaluation.
- Outreach and Marketing—Promote an organization to increase community support, strengthen relationships, or enhance program participation. Develop marketing materials or a web presence, present to community groups, or build partnerships in the community.
- Financial Resource Development—Help an organization develop a sustainable and balanced funding stream. Write grants, plan fundraisers, develop systems for soliciting donations, or generate web-based opportunities for giving.
Benefits beyond service
- Choice of $5,815 Education Award or $1,500 post-service stipend (Education Award may be used for student loans, school tuition, non-degree enrichment classes, and more)
- Bi-weekly living allowance of $455.70 (pre-tax)
- $550 relocation allowance (if relocating more than 50 miles to serve)
- Healthcare allowance of up to $6,600
- Federal student loan forbearance
- Extensive training
- One year of noncompetitive status for a federal government job
VISTA members must be at least 18 years of age and a U.S. citizen, national, or legal permanent resident alien. Volunteer experience is preferred.
We are looking for self-motivated individuals who are committed to fighting poverty with a passion. Ideal candidates will be flexible, open to new ideas, creative, good problem-solvers, and will possess excellent communication skills and organizational skills.
VISTAs commit to a full year of service, typically serve 40 hours per week, and are not allowed to attend school full-time while serving. VISTAs are allowed to have additional part-time employment outside of their service or attend school part-time, with prior approval from Minnesota Literacy Council.
To apply, you must first create an account/profile on My AmeriCorps. Complete all sections, including two references (educational or professional, in a supervisory type relationship, such as teacher/professor, work or volunteer supervisor, clergy, counselor, or coach). Then apply to the specific position or positions that you are interested in.
Check out the Literacy VISTA Positions that we are currently recruiting for! These one-year service opportunities start in July/August 2017.
Questions? Please contact Courtney, email@example.com, 651-251-9151..
Pass it on!
Know someone who'd be perfect for Literacy VISTA? Download our flyer and pass it on!