AmeriCorps and National Service
Looking for information, resources or answers to service-related questions? Check out the following websites:
- My AmeriCorps: Includes your personal and service profile plus information and resources related to your terms of service, living allowance, tax statements, in-service benefits, service letters and end-of-service benefit selection.
- InterCorps Council of Minnesota: A peer-led organization of AmeriCorps members from around the state.
- International Medical Group: The official site of the VISTA health benefits provider.
- VISTA Campus: A resource map and online learning environment to support VISTA activities.
- National Service Hotline Webpage: You can also call the VISTA Member Support Unit (VMSU) at 800-942-2677.
- Corporation for National and Community Service: Learn more about the larger corporation that VISTA is a part of.
Looking for professional development opportunities or resources? Check out the following organizations:
- Minnesota VISTA Professional Development Guide: Living document maintained by MN VISTA Leaders containing resources and tips for continuing your personal and professional development.
- MLC Professional Development Policies and Resources: Includes procedures for using professional development funds as well as a list of opportunities and websites to explore.
Life as a VISTA Member
Looking for information, resources or tips regarding life as an AmeriCorps VISTA member? Check out the following:
- Minnesota VISTA Living Guide: A living resource-guide with information on VISTA resources, housing, transportation, health benefits, budgeting, food assistance, eating cheaply, thrifty entertainment and savings and deals maintained and updated by MN VISTA Leaders
- Mental Health and Wellness Resources: A list of providers--in the Twin Cities as well as greater Minnesota--that offer services either for free or according to an income-based fee scale.
- VISTA Health Benefits Guide: A comprehensive guide to accessing and utilizing the health benefits provided to VISTA members through IMG. (Does not reflect current reimbursement allowance as of 2017)
- List of Stress Manifestations: A quick guide to recognizing some common signs of stress.
- Self-Care Assessment: On top of your service, program, and projects...make sure you're paying attention to yourself.
- Fight the "VISTA Slump": Check out these tests, tools, and resources to manage stress, prevent burnout, and jumpstart your energy.
VISTA Project Tasks and Topics
Looking for information, tools or ideas related to your VISTA project? Check out these topic-specific resource guides:
- Poverty: A collection of websites, books, videos, essays, legislation and data related to poverty.
- Education Policy: A listing of websites, videos and books related to education policy in Minnesota and nationwide.
- Program Evaluation: A guide to ways of learning more about program development and evaluation.
- Messaging and Design: A collection of websites, blogs, tools, books and workshops about communications best practices.
- Volunteer Engagement: A database of websites, books and tutorials related to volunteer engagement and management.
- Youth Program Development: A cache of resources related to various aspects of developing youth programming.
- Leadership Development: A list of networks, conferences, and resources for building leadership skills.
Life After VISTA
If you're thinking about graduate school or further education, check out:
- Idealist.org Graduate School Resource Center: Offers information related to preparing and applying for graduate school, graduate study options and degree overviews, alternatives to grad school, graduate study abroad and finances.
- ScholarEdge Consulting: An online resource for graduate school applications and recommendations, essay reviewing, scholarships and FAFSA and interview preparation.
- Types of Financial Aid Available for Graduate Students: A PDF resource from the MN Department of Higher Education. *Note this document is outdated, but still provides some useful suggestions for finding financial aid*
- List of Matching Insitutions: These colleges and universities offer a variety of incentives such as service scholarships or matching tuition funding to the Segal AmeriCorps Education Award.
If you're interested in getting a job or starting your career, check out:
- Minnesota Council of Nonprofits Job Board: Peruse this listing of nonprofit job openings in Minnesota.
- Idealist.org Career Center: Search for jobs, internships, organizations, events and resources.
- iSEEK – Minnesota’s Career, Education and Job Resource: Explore careers, plan your education or find a job.
- Translating your VISTA Experience into Job Speak: A PDF on how to talk about your service and competencies.
- Life After AmeriCorps: A National VISTA resource page about establishing a career after AmeriCorps service.
If you want to explore or utilize your AmeriCorps VISTA benefits, visit:
- Non-Competitive Eligibility FAQ: Figure out what this status means and how to take advantage of it.
- USA Job Board: Browse this listing of Federal government jobs and make use of your non-competitive eligibility status.
- Segal Education Award Resource Center: Learn how you can use and access the Segal Education Award.
If you want to continue networking and stay connected, visit:
- AmeriCorps Alums: Stay connected to AmeriCorps after your year of service is complete.
Submit Your Own Ideas
Are there other resources you would like to see on this page? Let us know!