Pre-Beginning ESL Curriculum
This Pre-Beginning ESL (levels 0-1) curriculum was created with a grant from the Saint Paul Community Literacy Consortium to implement Bridge Prep components into curricula. To prepare learners to transition to jobs and lay a foundation for post-secondary, this curriculum incorporates level-appropriate Transitions skills developed by the Hamline ABE Teaching and Learning Advancement System (ATLAS) Acacemic, Career and Employability (ACES) framework such as critical thinking (e.g., categorizing and sequencing) and self-management (e.g., maintaining a binder of class handouts) into every life skill unit. This curriculum builds literacy skills through regular practice with print concepts, phonological awareness, phonics and word recognition, fluency and comprehension. In building literacy skills, it also prepares learners for success on CASAS assessments. We encourage you to use or adapt these units for your classroom!
- Pre-Beginning ESL Stories (also incorporated into the units below)
- Longman ESL Literacy, 3rd Ed
- Minnesota Literacy Council Volunteer Tutor Training Manual 2013 or later
- A large set of alphabet flashcards and several sets of small alphabet tiles
- A calendar pocket chart with changeable dates or an erasable monthly calendar
Downloadable PDF Units: