The Minnesota Literacy Leadership Program is an AmeriCorps VISTA (Volunteers In Service To America) program aimed at eliminating poverty through literacy education and community empowerment. Literacy Leaders work side-by-side with seasoned professionals and committed volunteers at Minnesota schools, community-based nonprofit organizations or local government agencies. As a Literacy Leader, you'll provide behind-the-scenes service to community programs working to bring low-income children, youth, adults and families out of poverty. You'll also receive unique opportunities for personal and professional development, and build professional skills in a supportive environment.
We are now accepting applications for the 2019-2020 service year of the Minnesota Literacy Leadership Program!
Applications reviewed on a rolling basis until positions filled. Final deadline to apply: June 30. Check out our currently open positions and a list of projects from this year's Literacy Leadership cohort.
Benefits beyond service
- Choice of $6,095 Education Award or $1,800 post-service stipend (Education Award only available to U.S. Citizens; U.S. Nationals; or Lawful Permanent Resident Aliens)
- Bi-weekly living allowance of $472.22
- Healthcare allowance of up to $7,900
- $750 relocation allowance (if relocating more than 50 miles to serve)
- Service-related travel reimbursement
- Additional benefits with Minnesota Literacy Council include training and professional development, free seasonal farm/produce shares through a CSA and more
- Learn more about benefits here
Learn something new
Create, strengthen or expand programming to address community needs around literacy (reading, writing, oral language and digital communication skills). Get involved in strategic planning, build partnerships, write curriculum, secure resources, engage volunteers or develop methods for tracking and evaluation. Help organizations turn dream projects into reality!
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must be a U.S. citizen, national, legal permanent resident, asylee, or DACA recipient
- Volunteer experience is preferred
- Available to serve one year, full-time, Monday through Friday, typically daytime hours
- Self-motivated, committed to serving communities in need, flexible, creative, strong communicator, organized
- Part-time employment or part-time classes are allowed with prior approval from Minnesota Literacy Council and your host site
Julia at email@example.com or 651-251-9059.
Know someone who'd be perfect for the Minnesota Literacy Leadership Program?
Download our flyer and pass it on!