Literacy VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) is an AmeriCorps VISTA program aimed at eliminating poverty through education and community empowerment. Literacy VISTAs work side-by-side with seasoned professionals and committed volunteers at schools, community-based nonprofit organizations or local government agencies. As a Literacy VISTA, you'll provide behind-the-scenes service to community programs working to bring low-income children, youth, adults and families out of poverty. You'll also receive unique opportunities for personal and professional development, and build professional skills in a supportive environment.
We are not currently accepting Literacy VISTA member appications.
Benefits beyond service
- Choice of $5,920 Education Award or $1,800 post-service stipend (Education Award only available to U.S. Citizens; U.S. Nationals; or Lawful Permanent Resident Aliens)
- Bi-weekly living allowance of $472.22
- Healthcare allowance of up to $7,350
- $550 relocation allowance (if relocating more than 50 miles to serve)
- Learn more about benefits here
Learn something new
Create, strengthen, or expand programming to address community needs. Get involved in strategic planning, build partnerships, write curriculum, secure resources, engage volunteers, develop methods for tracking and evaluation. Help organizations turn dream projects into reality!
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must be a U.S. citizen, national, legal permanent resident, asylee, or protected by DACA
- Volunteer experience is preferred
- Available to serve one year, full-time, Monday through Friday daytime hours
- Self-motivated, committed to serving communities in need, flexible, creative, strong communicator, organized
- Part-time employment or part-time classes are allowed with prior approval from the literacy council and your host site
Contact Courtney at firstname.lastname@example.org or 651-251-9151.
Know someone who'd be perfect for Literacy VISTA?
Download our flyer and pass it on!