Literacy VISTA is an AmeriCorps VISTA program aimed at eliminating poverty through education and community empowerment. Literacy VISTAs work side-by-side with seasoned professionals and committed volunteers at schools, community-based nonprofit organizations or local government agencies. As a Literacy VISTA, you'll provide behind-the-scenes service to community programs working to bring low-income children, youth, adults and families out of poverty. You'll also receive unique opportunities for personal and professional development, and build professional skills in a supportive environment. We are currently accepting Literacy VISTA appications for 2018-2019!
Benefits beyond service
- Choice of $5,920 Education Award or $1,800 post-service stipend
- Bi-weekly living allowance of $472.22
- Healthcare allowance of up to $7,350
- $550 relocation allowance (if relocating more than 50 miles to serve)
- Learn more about benefits here
Learn something new
- Volunteer Development—Build a sustainable volunteer program to allow an organization to expand its services.
- Program Development—Create, strengthen, or expand programming to address community needs. Get involved in strategic planning, build partnerships, write curriculum, secure resources, develop methods for tracking and evaluation.
- Outreach and Marketing—Promote an organization to build partnerships and enhance program participation.
- Financial Resource Development—Help an organization develop a sustainable and balanced funding stream.
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must be a U.S. citizen, national, legal permanent resident, asylee, or protected by DACA
- Volunteer experience is preferred
- Available to serve one year, full-time, Monday through Friday daytime hours
- Self-motivated, committed to serving communities in need, flexible, creative, strong communicator, organized
- Part-time employment or part-time classes are allowed with prior approval from the literacy council and your host site
Contact Emily at email@example.com or 651-251-9066.
Know someone who'd be perfect for Literacy VISTA?
Download our flyer and pass it on!