This section includes essential knowledge of the geography, symbols, and holidays of the United States. Developing this knowledge base can help new citizens feel oriented and connected to their adopted country, and is therefore included in the civics test.
- Lesson Plans from USCIS- In-depth lesson on "Capitals, Borders, and Ocean States"
- Map Skills, Direction, and Location Lesson plan [useful for teaching border states and other geographic information]
- Celebrate America! website- Information and activities for teaching about U.S. holidays
- Civics by the Calendar- List of classroom activities that can be used to teach about U.S. holidays
- A 10-minute animation (video) of the growth of the United States
- Reading Skills for Today's Adult- includes several stories about American holidays and symbols. Click for: stories for Citizenship study
- Writing practice worksheets for Flag Day, Independence Day, and Thanksgiving (created by Dorothy Orde)
- Holiday matching- Citizenship Flashcards