Adult literacy programs: honor an outstanding learner, volunteer or community partner by nominating them for a Minnesota Literacy Council award. Awards will be presented on May 8 at the annual Awards Ceremony and Journeys Student Reading. New this year: the awards event and Journeys Student Reading will be held at the Minnesota History Center at 345 Kellogg Blvd. West in St. Paul.
All nominations are due March 2, 2018.
- Outstanding Volunteer Awards are for adult literacy volunteers who contribute a high quality and quantity of unique, innovative, and creative volunteer service.
- Outstanding Learner Awards are for adult learners that have made a unique, innovative or creative impact on adult literacy and who have a strong dedication to service as a volunteer and a leader among peers. This year, two Outstanding Learner Award recipients will receive a $250 Lucille Fisher Award.
- Minnesota Literacy Council Thomas M. Kraemer Memorial Education Grant Fund: This award is intented to assist Adult Basic Education (ABE) learners in their pursuit of further education. Awards range from $250 - $750. Please complete the application attached below or linked above. Thomas M. Kraemer served as the President of the Minnesota Literacy Council Board of Directors from January, 1994 until his accidental and untimely death in August, 1995. In recognition of Tom Kraemer’s leadership and his commitment to lifelong learning, this education grant fund has been established in his memory.
- Volunteer Service Awards are for ABE volunteers who have reached the 1,000-hour tutoring milestone and who have shown a dedication to voluntary service to adult literacy.
- Community Partnership Awards are for organizations, funders and ad hoc committees that have positively influenced adult literacy in Minnesota. Community partners should have demonstrated unique, innovative, or creative contributions and show dedication through length of service and the depth of partnership with an ABE program.
Please note that you cannot save and return to your work to finish later, so be prepared to fill out the entire form once you start. Feel free to encourage your volunteers or learners to submit award nominations as well.
The most successful nominations include examples or stories about the nominee's outstanding work - the more specific information you can provide, the better. All nominees must have been active within the past year, contributed on a voluntary basis and demonstrated a strong commitment to service throughout their involvement. Please note that all volunteers who are nominated for a Volunteer Service Award (as long as criteria on the form are met) will receive a certificate.
A committee of literacy council board members, staff, and adult literacy program coordinators will review the submissions and select award winners. All winners are notified in April and are invited to attend our annual Journeys Reading and Awards Ceremony in May to receive their award.