Listening Session for Adult Literacy Volunteers of Color and Indigenous Volunteers
Friday, May 25, 2018 - 5:30pm to 8:00pm
Minnesota Literacy Council
700 Raymond Avenue
Saint Paul,, MN 55114
We need your feedback! The Minnesota Literacy Council is looking for input from adult literacy volunteers who are people of color and indigenous people. We know that diversity and inclusion (D&I) in our organizational culture is vital to the success of our work. Our goal is to ensure input from employees, volunteers and learners guides our efforts to foster an organizational culture that is welcoming and inclusive to all.
Come to our first volunteer listening session on Friday, May 25 from 5:30-8 p.m. for a free dinner and discussion. The discussion will be facilitated by literacy council staff members and equity consultant, Kitty Gogins. Dinner will be served from 5:30-6 p.m. and the discussion will begin at 6 p.m. Gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan meal options are available.
Your participation is voluntary and confidential.
Questions? Contact Wendy: firstname.lastname@example.org or 651-251-9063
Session discussion questions:
- Warm-up: Introduce yourself, your volunteer program, your favorite ice cream flavor and what attracted you to volunteer with literacy?
- What are barriers for individuals from your community to becoming volunteers and/or employees in the field of literacy?
- How did you overcome those barriers?
- What could the Minnesota Literacy Council do to minimize these barriers for others?
- In your experience, what has made you feel welcome and respected when you are at the Minnesota Literacy Council/Open Door Learning Center?
- Have you ever felt unwelcome or not respected at the Minnesota Literacy Council/Open Door Learning Center? If so, what could have been done differently to make you feel welcome and respected?
- What could the Minnesota Literacy Council do to make the environment and culture feel more welcoming to folks in your respective communities?