Show Me True/False
Purpose: This silent activity gives learners a chance to develop their listening skills. It is helpful for learners who are not comfortable sharing answers aloud in class develop confidence in their listening abilities.
Preparation Time: None
Materials Needed: True/False cards for the class
- Begin with a true statement that everyone in the group will know (e.g. My name is Jill). Hold up the true card, and have all of the learners hold up their true cards.
- Say a false statement that everyone in the group will know (e.g. My name is Laura). Hold up the false card, and have all of the learners hold up their false cards.
- Repeat this several times, modeling the correct card to hold up.
- Move around the room making true and false statements while the learners show their answers by holding up cards.
- As the learners become more comfortable, speed up the statements so learners can listen to fast speech.
This is a chair/table/book/pencil.
This is blue/red/black/green.
Her/his name is _____.
Today is/yesterday was/tomorrow will be ____.
This month is/last month was/next month will be ____.
Today is sunny/rainy/cloudy/hot.
It is 10:00/10:30.
Expansion: Ask a learner to stand up and make true/false statements for the class. Join the class in holding up the answer cards.
Modification 1: Put the class into pairs or small groups. Have each learner take turns making true/false statements for their partner or small group while the learner/s listening show their answers.