Move the Word Stress
August 30, 2018
Purpose: A simple kinesthetic way to help learners count syllables and practice word stress
Preparation Time: none
Materials Needed: a list of weekly vocabulary words
- Say a word from the weekly unit. Emphasize the syllable that is stressed.
- Have the learners repeat the word, emphasizing the stressed syllable.
- You may need to repeat steps one and two several times, and learners may need additional support if they are struggling with a word.
- Model saying the word while showing the stress with your hand. Hold your hand low for unstressed syllables, and raise it for the stressed syllable.
- Have the learners repeat the word, showing the stress with their hands.
- Repeat the process with the next word.
Want to see this activity in action? Check out Open Door Lake Street teacher Mya as she works with her class through this routine! You can see find her Word Stress Routine video at https://mnliteracy.org/classroomvideos, or see it on the MN ABE Professional Development Youtube channel at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5PtGQCJAWs&t=2s
If you have received this tutor tip in your email and are unable to open the links above, copy and paste the links into your browser window.