Race to the Number!
November 2, 2017
Purpose: An engaging and high energy way to have learners practice writing numbers in English
Preparation Time: None
Materials Needed: Dice, pencils, blank paper
- Divide the class into small groups. Give each group one dice, one pencil and one piece of paper per learner.
- Explain to the learners that the first person in the group to write the numbers 1-100 on their paper will be the winner.
- When you call time, the learners in each group take turns rolling the dice. The first person to roll a 1 or a 6 grabs the pencil and begins writing the numbers 1-100.
- The rest of the learners in the group continue rolling the dice. Whenever a learner rolls a 1 or a 6, they take the pencil from whoever has it and begin writing the numbers. Learners who have already started writing the numbers pick up where they left off.
- The learner in the group who gets to 100 first is the winner.
Modifications: For lower level classes, have the groups write up to a lower number, such as 30 or 50. You can also have the learners spell out the numbers up to a lower number, such as 20.