Exit Ticket: Video and Instructions
November 8, 2016
New resource for teachers and tutors! Now you can watch a video of this activity and print a PDF of the instructions at http://mnliteracy.org/classroomvideos. If you are unable to click on this link from your email, view this tutor tip on the Minnesota Literacy Council website to access this link.
Purpose: To get a quick assessment of student learning and help learners apply skills outside the classroom
Preparation Time: 5 minutes (to decide on task)
Materials Needed: None
- Decide what you want to accomplish with this activity. Some possibilities:
• Find out how learners feel about their own understanding of the day’s lesson.
• Help learners plan how to practice the lesson content outside the classroom.
• Assess learners’ ability to read, write, or say something related to the lesson.
- Choose a task you will have each learner do before they leave. It should be something simple and something they’ve already covered in class that day. It should take a minute or less for them to complete.
- Stand at the door and ask each person to perform the task before they leave the classroom.
• Read a word from a stack of flashcards.
• Answer a simple question that you ask.
• “Tell me what you’re going to do after school.”
• “Tell me one thing you learned today.”
• Write a sentence about ____ on a note card.
• “How well did you understand class today: very well, so-so, a little?”
• “Name one place you’re going to speak English this weekend.”
• “Name one way you’re going to study English tonight.”