Activity name: T-Chart
Thanks to Ellie Purdy for sharing this tip!
Purpose: to practice vocab, categorize info, use effective communication skills, and have fun.
Preparation time: 5 minutes, if you already have flash cards ready
Materials needed: T-chart with two categories that fit your unit topic such as Clinic/Emergency Room, Winter/Summer, Rooms/Furniture, or Perishable/Not Perishable; flashcards/word cards from the unit of study
Preparation: Assemble T-Charts and flashcards
1. Review the vocabulary students will be using. Use a projector to show each vocabulary card and elicit the word the class. If you don’t have a projector, you can hold the vocabulary cards up for the class to read.
2. Use a projector to show the T-chart, or draw a T-chart on the board. Hold up a flash card. Think out loud to model how to decide where to put the card in the chart.
3. Call on a student to place another card in the chart.
4. Repeat step 3 with another student.
5. Give pairs of students a T-chart and a set of flash cards to categorize.
6. As pairs finish, have them compare their answers.