Tell Me About It
Purpose: To help intermediate or advanced level students practice wh-questions in the context of a reading lesson
Prep time: 30 minutes
Materials: variety of articles from the newspaper or stories from reading text; enough copies for students; a picture to go along with the story is an added bonus
Prep: Look for human interest stories in the paper or stories from a series like True Stories in the News. You might want to choose one to do with the whole group first.
- Talk about the title, look at the picture, if there is one, predict what might be in the article, then read the story together as a group. You may need to spend some time on unfamiliar vocabulary. Encourage students to figure it out from context whenever possible.
- Have students work in pairs to answer what, where, why, when, who, how?
- Ask students to share their answers.
- Assign each small group a different story. Each group must summarize their story orally for the group by answering the wh-questions.
- As follow-up, have them write the summaries.