February 14, 2013
Prep time: 5 minutes
Materials: paper, pencils, document projector for a class, list of words on paper for one to one
Prep: Prepare a list of 6-10 words that your students commonly misspell
- Let students know that this activity will help them practice spelling words that are problems for many of them.
- Explain that you are going to show them a list of 6-10 words and they will have 1-2 minutes to study them.
- Project the list of words on the board or wall. When the time is up, cover the list with a blank sheet of paper.
- The teacher/tutor now dictates the words to the students.
- Students work individually, but at the end of the dictation, they compare lists in small groups.
- Now project or show the word list again, and students self-correct.
Note: For lower level students, you may want to model the activity first, using a shorter, different list of words, and going through the steps above, so students understand the process. Once you begin the activity itself, do not move on to the next step until everyone has fully completed the preceding one.